Monday 3 September 2007

Exploding Power Supplies & RMA's

Well, it was an eventful week last week, i turned on my PC at home and nothing happened. So i checked the usual stuff, is the rocker switch at the back set to "ON", does the plug socket work... Everything seemed fine so i guessed the fuse had blown in the plug. I didn't have a spare fuse but i had a spare "Kettle Lead" which i plugged into the pc and then into the mains.

The resulting BANG and sparks, mere inches from my head, was a bit of a shock, followed closely by a burnt smell. I've only had the PC for about 6 months so i raised a support call with the supplier and they were suprisingly quick at coming back with an RMA form for me to return the power supply. The real kicker is that it will take 2 - 3 weeks for them to get a power supply back to me, that's assuming they have 1 in stock! Surely it doesn't take that long to figure out that the lump of molten plastic inside the power supply means it's broken.

I must admit though, every time i've contacted the support department they've been very quick in generating a response and it's been a pretty good response in most cases so i guess i'll just have to be patient.

No comments: